Monday, April 13, 2020

Koa and Walnut Shelves


KOA and Walnut Shelves construction:
(Good thing I had a few projects during the Covid-19 pandemic.)
Nearly Complete


Installed!





Second One.














David Weidman 1964 - the house was built in 1964

 


Construction Photos:

A billet of KOA that I brought back from the Big Island - $115 for this board.


There was a beautiful bend to the board, I decided to incorporate it into the design.

Peruvian Walnut for the - I don't know what that part is called - I wanna say arms.

More Pictures after the "see more"







Rounded Out

I ran the board over the table saw on edge, now I have inserted this shim into the kerf.

A saw I brought back from Japan

I don't have a better way to re-saw this... except for time and a handsaw

basic minimalist design

Matchy-Matchy

The blue tape here is to let me know where not to sand.  The pieces fit pretty snugly before the sanding.

Glue up and Clampy Clampy

Sanded to 1500 grit for the parts that will be seen the most.

First coat of oil finish

This is very pretty stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments or questions.