Monday, April 13, 2020

Bubinga Banister and Handrails



Banister for my staircase  - 
Covid 19 'downtime' project.....



Side View

Top View

Matched to the handrails











End Piece



 Basic Process - Construction:



MORE AFTER THE "SEE MORE" LINK BELOW



These are the 'live edge' sides left after cutting a large slab



The center is actually Mahogany - this is trying to get the angle right

Cutting a spline to hold it in place

This is just a temporary piece to keep everything straight, not really needed for strength
Bubinga Handrail matched to the same angle

End glued - not a good plan

The wall wasn't quite straight and true.  1964 house, so these are relief cuts to allow for relief and room

Clamping everything together for gluing

I found a couple more clamps


check fit

Angles makes it hard to match things up

Test fit of top rail

The grain matches up

uhmmm.... level

Cap for where it meets the wall

Side trim.  I need to cover where the banister will attach to the existing frame

I try to get all of the miters perfect.  I'm mostly a jeweler

Someone will tear this out someday in the future... I left them a note.

Test fit of the trim peices

I don't remember what I was doing here.

This tape will mask off the oil or finish.  I need raw wood to glue the trim down to


I had a problem getting the grain to match due to the angles.  This little piece extend above the red to raise it up to meet the mahogany

Gluing it in
I would rather cut it long and then shave it to match - Japanese saw.



Three matching Handrails

Second one heading up the stairs - that is a window to the living room so there is a break in the hand rail

Bottom rail

Full view of bottom rail


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments or questions.