Thursday, December 24, 2015

cardboard regatta boat - The Brown Trout #2

This is a boat I made for the local cardboard boat regatta.

A young friend and I decided to enter.  He wanted a fish.  So we made a "Brown Trout".

Cardboard Boat Regatta ellensburg

He wanted a trout, and since it was going to be a "Brown Trout", I gave it a racing number of #2


The basic process was to get up real early and go down the alleys downtown looking for large pieces of cardboard:

Cardboard.... check.



Tunes for the 20 or so hours of work.  check.

The rules say only cardboard, glue, duct tape and household paint.

This isn't a very good design.  I was really going for the artwork.  We knew we wouldn't win in the speed category.
Here is my detailed plan:


it ended up pretty close.
My young friend, Keola, wanted it to have a mustache.   I didn't have a good reason why it couldn't, so here it is.  The number 2 here was printed on the cardboard.  Maybe it was destiny.


Fins and more paint.  I also added about 3 tubes of glitter.  I wanted it to shimmer.
RACE DAY:

Cardboard Boat Regatta ellensburg
A float tube painted to look like a bobber....

Cardboard Boat Regatta ellensburg
Some of the competition.  We were ready to have anyone who wanted to waterski behind.

Cardboard Boat Regatta ellensburg
Stretches and push-ups to get limber.

Cardboard Boat Regatta ellensburg

Cardboard Boat Regatta ellensburg




We made it out pretty well.  And well, we made it back.

We did win an award, the 'Titanic' award.  But it was a lot of fun.

yes, a rubber ducky and a bathtub stopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments or questions.