Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Topaz and Silver Broach


This one I have been working on for quite a while.  I had a bunch of pieces of various gauge wire left from other projects, so I attempted to put them to use.
Original Sketch.   It is supposed to be sort of a celtic looking thing.



Then I found some wonderful old stock topaz stones from this vendor on ebay:

Apparently these were cut by this person's father and grandfather.  The stones are actually much better than the pictures, and very affordable for what you get.

For example here is the picture from ebay of a citrine I bought:

And here are pictures I took:

Super good.....

lovely.
It is very hard to take good pictures of bright shiny stuff, as you can tell if you have seen my other posts with my cell phone camera pictures!

Anyway:

Here are some other pictures of the fabrication of the topaz broach:


Making the Setting for the large Topaz


Figuring out where to cut the prongs to leave just enough to hold the stone without being in the way.


Making tube sets for the round topaz (topazs, topazes?)

At this point I decided that three different sized round would be better than two of the same and one smaller.




Luckily I had an extra one or two......








I will try to organize this better, or finish the darn thing... someday.



1 comment:

  1. the seller sellingoffoddstuff is now located on a much nicer site SpeediTrade.com and is very reasonable on prices I as well find the items purchased are much better than pictured nice work

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments or questions.