Friday, June 17, 2016

Jewelry Boxes - Koa Wood, Walnut and Mahogany


Jewelry Boxes - Hawaiian Koa Wood, Walnut and Mahogany.  I made these as an assignment in the CWU Wood Design class Spring 2016. 










 Construction Pictures:
This project started when I bought a board of acacia wood while in Hawaii.  It is a special species of acacia that only grows above 1,500 feet.  I had seen some boxes in the Gallery One and wanted to try to make one, or two.



lots of clamps.  maybe more like all the clamps.



I had never taken a wood working course before and had never made a drawer.  It might have been better to start with a one drawer project and not a 10 drawer project....



The is the 'pre-gluing' mock-up

Progress!  This is the point that I tapered the legs of the pagoda looking one.

The shows the unfinished box, that is - no finish products applied to the wood.  Just raw and sanded.

teak oil


Aftermath.  Like after I had done all the math for the drawers and stuff, this the mess I had made.

The dark piece in the center will be the legs.  I tapered the all together, then sliced them.

I was also working on some gavels....




No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments or questions.